Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Siena, Italy and its Palio Horse Race



Siena  is a city in Tuscany, Italy famous in the world for its Palio Horse Race or Palio di Siena (known locally simply as Il Palio). The historic centre of Siena known as Piazza del Campo has been declared by UNESCO a World Heritage Site and one of Europe’s greatest medieval squares.

   Piazza del Campo

Twice a year every July  2 and August 16 , the  city of Siena comes alive for one of the world's most breathtaking folk festivals, the Palio di Siena.  


The Palio held every July 2 is named Palio di Provenzano, in honour of the Madonna of Provenzano, who has a church in Siena. The Palio held every August 16 is named Palio dell'Assunta, in honour of the Assumption of Mary. A magnificent pageant, the Corteo Storico, precedes the race, which attracts visitors and spectators from around the world. Walking the streets of Siena:
Breathtaking.. that's the only word I can think of. Walking the streets of this medieval city is like watching an old movie and enjoying the antique look and magnificent architecture.. it's like your heart stopping and hoping that the beauty will never end...
In the middle of the piazza during our tour is a wedding ceremony!!!  The perfect place to start a love affair!! Smiley


Pin It


20 comments:

  1. From Jeff,

    It great to see such a large courtyard that is next to the church. With the sunlight, it casts a nice shadow. Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siena is very beautiful. The people seems so laid-back while sitting in the middle of Piazza del Campo. This little city has lovely landscapes that gives me a feeling of going back to the Middle Ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very nice place to visit.. makes me think of Calle Crisologo in Vigan :)

    I love your last photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is so beautiful! I'd count that wedding ceremony as good luck! Hihihi so romantic! Plus the photo of a couple kissing pa! I can't help but imagine myself walking in Sienna hand in hand with the man I love! Haha Now that's just me being fanciful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will never tired if I am there, the place is amazing hope something a equally like a plce here in Ph

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of people I know wanted to go to Italy. You are lucky you're able to traverse the streets of Sienna, in Tuscany, Italy.

    I am hoping and praying too to be able to reach that part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Cha! naku for sure you will travel the world!! believe me! ;)

      Delete
  7. I would love to go there someday!!! you are soooo lucky!!!! If we could not only comment exchange but exchange places for a few days in real world- it'll be sooo cool! happy for you and your travels! Thanks! Gemma of My Dailies

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your photos. Nice and very artistic ang dating. And oh, Europe travel pa. Wanna go there sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos! The infrastructures in Europe are really cool, and have that historical feel.. :) I wish I can visit Siena, or any place in Italy in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That wedding photographs is classic. Ang galing mo na Violly! I can't wait to use my new Digital SLR to share my photography. Aww hahahaha BTW you look gorgeous in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jenny! goodluck with your DSLR.. ako I'll be sticking to my fixed lens camera muna... ;)

      Delete
  11. The place really is breath-taking. You're right indeed. What else I can do is just to appreciate the place staring fondly with your wonderful shots of antique, architectural antic, historic place called Siena City in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Italy, according to my mom, is such a lovely place to visit! and with the pictures you posted, i can't wait to visit! it's part of my bucketlist that i get to visit Italy :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. oohh Italy one of my favorite city! Reading your post is like reading a travel magazine while sipping martini.. totally glam! keep it up girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like what I read in magazines or see in postcards. Wedding in the middle of the street? Thats a loud declaration of love! hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww...another great escapade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome! i want to visit this place too

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this place i want to go here too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to visit this place and race! As of now I just want to race and win at Santa Ana Park Philippines. After that I will travel the world and win titles!

    ReplyDelete